I begin each year not with a resolution but a theme or two to focus on throughout the year. But where do I want focus my attention in 2016? There are just so many positive themes to choose from.
As 2015, and my year of gratitude comes to an end I have been continually surprised by what an amazing theme gratitude has been, as whatever happened I could always find something for which I was grateful and appreciative, which has helped me to focus on the positive during a difficult year.
One thing that I found, which arose from being grateful, was contentment. Contentment which I so easily overlook in my search for whatever is happening next. The one thing that illness gave me was the opportunity to be more reflective about my life and the wonderful people in it.
To me contentment is more subtle than gratitude. Gratitude is something that I can think about and then write into a diary or journal. But contentment is more elusive as it is a way of being. So I feel that my year of contentment will require the application of a bit more awareness, than normal 🙂
So, some of the things I am looking at doing are:
- Continuing with my daily gratitude diary.
- Creating space by not over committing myself – which is a habit of mine, then I wonder why I am stressed and tired.
- Thinking before I buy – do I really need it? I can always leave it in the online basket for a week or two and see if I still want it!
- Taking time to be present, through meditation, Tai Chi and walking.
- Reminding myself when the going gets tough to Breath and Smile 🙂
As for the theme of Creativity, well that has spontaneously arisen from a combination of things that I enjoy and want to engage in more wholeheartedly, like:
- Spending more time sewing, I want to see if I can design and make one new item every month – cushion, skirt, bag or dress.
- Cooking, I am going to try one new recipe each week – I am fully aware that I may end up eating a lot of soup!! but seeing that I was kindly given 3 cookery books for Christmas there is no excuse really.
- My hurricane lamp project, each month creating a new theme.
- Writing this blog in an attempt to articulate my thoughts a little better and to create some pages with information about the pancreas, it’s function and the diseases that effect it.
So 2016, I am fired up and ready to roll, bring it on.
A few of my previous projects 🙂